"The Wondering Jew"
Jul. 15, 2003 - 15:47 MDT
THE WONDERING JEW
What's On Second ?
Why is it that when administration people come out with a statement I think to myself, "I knew that already and took that into account when WE (Bush) decided to go to war and was talking it up."
July 14, 2003 in the Rocky Mountian News there is an article by Eric Schmitt of the New York Times which reports that, "Rumsfeld warns of increased attacks." In the body of the article, "Rumsfeld also said for the first time that the attacks against Americans by remnants of Saddam Hussein's forces, Fedayeen fighters and Iraqui prisoners freed before the war, were being coordinaed at least on a regional level and possibly at a national level."
Further on comes comments from him, "It seems to me that the numbers of U.S. fores are unlikely to go up," he said on the NBC News program Meet The Press. "Now, could they ? You bet. If they're needed, they will be there."
In the article it says Rumsfeld confirmed that U.S. officials were bracing for a possible new wave of attacks against U.S. forces during the next week to coincide with the anniversaries tied to Saddam and the Baath Party.
And then in Eric Schmitt's article he quotes Rumsfeld on his comments on the NBC program, Rumsfeld warned of more American casualties, saying: "Are people being shot at ? Yes. Is it a difficult situation ? You bet. Are more people going to be killed ? I'm afraid that's true."
So I guess that Rumsfeld is saying that we are in deep doo doo because of what we rashly and impetuously did. And it appears that we will give up more of our soldier's lives, natural resources and money to put ourselves into a Palestine/Israel type situation that apparently will not ever be settled. At least that seems to be the situation to me.
The credibility of Bush and his administration is waning more rapidly now than ever I think. The more time goes on the more is revealed about their inept understanding of the situation or downright Superstupid philosophy.
I an article by Nancy Mitchell of the Rocky Mountain News July 14th Headlined Expert says vouchers debate shifts from achievement to opportunity.The article begins, "The nation's debate on school vouchers is shifting away from their impact on student achievement one researcher says, largely because there's no evidence they make a difference. Instead K-12 school vouchers are now touted as tools to promote opportunities for low income and minority families."
The expert she quotes is Clive Belfield, associate director of research for the National Center for the Study of Privatization in Education at Columbia University.
Some of his comments follow. "Voucher students do not appear to do better, on average," Belfield said, adding that the students left behind in traditional public schools, "do not appear to do any worse."
And then Colorado Sen Nancy Spence, R-Centennial, sponsor of the state's fledgling vouchers program said ,"She doesn't know if students who participate will show gains on state tests." She simply wanted to ensure they had a school choice.
Brings it to a point in my mind - do we take tax money away from public schools to finance vouchers to be used where ever OR are we going to fix our public schools and make the tax money be used as it should be. I personally can't see where any one private institution can make much profit from the voucher system, in fact maybe lose a bit due to the extra effort needed - nor do I see that a pupil - moved to a voucher school will gain any extra education. But the big loser to my mind are the ailing public schools which were intended to give any child an education on taxes paid by the public and in essence our children are the big losers. Oh well, who am I ?
Don't see anything in the news today to cheer me up very much.
It goes back I think to Abbott and Costello, "What's On Second" . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0 comments so far